Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Sometimes You Need To Know When To Shut Up

People in the public limelight have more opportunities than others to say stupid things. Ozzie Guillen, the new manager of the Miami Marlins, admitted that what he said was "very stupid." That's putting it mildly. Why would a Latino in Miami praise Fidel Castro? Yeah, very stupid indeed.

"Guillen sparked a firestorm when he told Time magazine recently that he respected Castro for being able to lead Cuba for six decades. 'I respect Fidel Castro,' Guillen said in the article. 'You know why? A lot of people have wanted to kill Fidel Castro for the last 60 years, but that son of a bitch is still there.'"  (http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/04/10/miami-marlins-suspend-manager-guillen-for-five-games/?hpt=hp_t1)

Guillen tried to cover it up. "But, he said, he originally spoke of Castro in Spanish and 'the translation to English was a bit confusing.'

Naw, I don't think so. "'This is the biggest mistake so far in my life,' he said. Guillen said with the comments he'd let down the community. 'I'm very, very, very sorry,' he said. 'I will do everything in my power to make it better. 'I live in Miami, my family is in Miami,' he said. 'I will do everything in my power to help this community like I always do. I'm sitting here very embarrassed and very sad,' he said at the press conference."

The lesson here is that it's a lot easier to say nothing than to try to take a misspeak back. That's a lesson all of us need to remember.

1 comment:

Tamara Gauci said...

Besides showing us that it is best not to misspeak, but it also highlights that it is important to train the spokesperson of the organisation. And by train I don’t mean tell them word by word what should be said and done, otherwise authenticity would be removed from the interview, but rather highlight what is good to be said and what can be avoided. More importantly a crisis manager or public relations manager should be consulted in these cases so as to warn of any backlash. Then again, one can not completely disregard that he has followed Benoit’s Image Restoration Theory: denial, evading responsibility, reducing offensiveness, corrective action, and mortification.